Seedpack Wildlife Garden
I don't think it gets easier than this...a seedpack wildlife garden! This pack of Botanical Interests seeds will plant 14 square feet, that's about a 3 1/2 feet square, a 7 x 2 rectangle or, my favorite, a 4.5' diameter circle.
Plop a birdbath in the center for charm and convenience should your hummingbird want to take a bit of a bath!
Here's how to do it:
- Choose a sunny spot.
- Stake out and clear the area of weeds, rocks, etc.
- Add some composty top soil (a 2 cu ft bag should do it).
- Turn the compost in with a shovel or hoe, and rake it nice.
- Broadcast your seeds (the seed packet will give exact instructions as to depth, etc).
- Add a birdbath (the water should be shallow, no more than 1 1/2 inches deep. Add some rocks if necessary so they can have a little something to stand on. Some sort of perch would be appreciated as well. Maybe a branch nearby?
Although Botanical Seeds are sold in many nurseries, I didn't find these specialty seeds locally. If you want to order from them directly, here's the link: Hummingbird Haven seeds!